Friday, October 12, 2012

Nothing but a fur cap on.....A Treasured Image

My treasure box directly correlates with my unit on The Constitution, who signed it, and where.  I chose 10  items (5 primary resources) depicting what the constitution is, historical landmarks in Philadelphia, and items that were used during the time.  I chose a present day image of Independence Hall along with an image dating back to the signing for students to compare and contrast.  Images of the Liberty Bell and Christs Church were also included.  I included tea, led bullets, feather pen, ink, maps, and stockings.  The main purpose of this activity is to see how students can compare places and items from the 1700s to today.

I primarily teach Math throughout the day with only 1 section of language arts.  In my L.A. class I have used images and materials to help create journal entries in the past.  I have never gone to this extent with such a variety of pictures, paintings, and objects.  I think with a wide range of materials, it will be easier for my students to relate.


On a separate note Signing Their Lives Away gave me a different view of Big Bad Ben Franklin.  From what I read, Mr. $100 note seemed very arrogant and into himself.  I can't get the image of Ben, hanging out in the buff, with nothing but a fur hat out of my mind.  He also seemed to be a lady's man chasing the older, more experienced women.  I always thought Ben was a fine upstanding citizen, but after reading now view him in a new light. 

7 comments:

  1. I also used many of those items. The feather quills were a huge hit. The students really enjoyed using them. I too found Mr. Franklin to be quite interesting. However, I kept a lot of those comments out of my second grade classroom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty sure I will never look at Ben the same way again without picturing that image of him in the cap. Lots of interesting facts of Ben Franklin. He was definitely the most interesting and entertaining of the people I read in that book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm intrigued now and want to learn more about "Big Bad Ben Franklin"! Ben, hanging out in the buff with a fur hat is hysterical yet very interesting! My image of him is shattered and I never realized he was such a ladies man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Using visuals was a wonderful way to integrate your Treasure Box into your lessons. It’s a good combination when you can give your students images to help them make the connections between ‘then’ and ‘now’. Yes, to put it mildly, Ben Franklin was really a character – and this was the PG version!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The way you talk about Ben makes him sound interesting....like I want to read more about him. And how did I know you would have commented on the fur hat no clothes thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd be anxious to hear how your students reacted to your Treasure Box. The variety of things you filled it with should peak your students interests, I would think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would imagine that it would be difficult trying to schedule in a treasure box with your students when you primarily teach math...you did a good job! Your view of Benjamin Franklin was hilarious, and I can also relate to what you are saying. Before taking this class, I also had a certain image of him - intelligent, proper, serious, a man of great integrity. Through information from this class and some of my own investigating, I've discovered that there was so much more to him. I also view him in a new light!

    ReplyDelete